This Month’s Tips
2. Water vegetable and flower gardens in early morning to reduce evaporation. Water the soil, not the leaves. Water deeply and infrequently to encourage root growth.
3. Plant beets, bush beans, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, kale, and peas for fall and winter crops.
4. Dig spring bulbs when tops have died down; divide and store or replant.
5. Spider mites can become a problem on ornamental plants, vegetables, and fruit plants during hot, dry weather. Watch for dusty-looking foliage, loss of color, and presence of tiny mites. Wash infested areas with water or spray with appropriate pesticides.
6. Read more monthly gardening tips from OSU Extension.