This Month’s Tips
1. Drain or blow out your irrigation system, insulate valve mechanisms, in preparation of winter.
2. Use newspaper or cardboard covered by mulch to discourage winter and spring annual weeds.
3. Dig and store potatoes; keep in darkness, moderate humidity, temperature about 40°F. Discard unused potatoes if they sprout. Don’t use as seed potatoes for next year.
4. Place mulch over roots of roses, azaleas, rhododendrons and berries for winter protection.
5. To suppress future pest problems, clean up annual flower beds by removing diseased plant materials, overwintering areas for insect pests; mulch with manure or garden compost to feed the soil and suppress weeds.
6. Cover asparagus and rhubarb beds with a mulch of manure or compost.
7. Clean, sharpen and oil tools and equipment before storing for winter.
8. Prune out dead fruiting canes in raspberries.
9. Read more monthly gardening tips from OSU Extension.