Greetings! Thank you for visiting the Marion County Master Gardener Association website. The MCMGA is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping home gardeners in Marion County learn about the science, art, and joy of gardening by providing a variety of education and outreach programs. You can find Master Gardener volunteers at the Extension Office Plant Clinic, educational workshops, local Farmers’ markets, and other Master Gardener events.
The Master Gardener Plant Clinic is open Monday-Friday from 9am-1pm and volunteers are available to answer your questions. Our office is in the Marion County Extension Office at 1320 Capitol St NE, Suite 100, Salem OR 97301. You can also email questions along with your pictures to: email@example.com.
This Month’s Tips
- Take hardwood cuttings of deciduous ornamental shrubs and trees for propagation
- Order a soil test to determine your garden’s nutrient needs
- Begin planning this year’s vegetable garden. Check with local retail garden or nursery stores for seeds and seed catalogs
- Keep a garden journal. Consult your journal in the winter, so you can better plan for the growing season
- Reapply or redistribute mulch that has blown or washed away during winter
- Water landscape plants underneath wide eaves and in other sites shielded from rain
- Use dormant sprays of lime sulfur or copper fungicide on roses for general disease control, or plan to replace susceptible varieties with resistant cultivars in February
- Moss in lawns may mean too much shade or poor drainage. Modify site conditions if moss is bothersome
Please use the following link to see more January Gardening tips: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/techniques/january-garden-calendar